Monday, November 06, 2006

Cameo Heirloom Treasure Box

On my mother's visit to me in Israel this past May, she brought along with her some heirlooms of my late grandmother's (her mother). Among them were some lovely antique brooches, including a splendid Cameo.
I am afraid to lose them, and I don't really wear pins anyway. They sit in my jewelry box and get swished around in there. Nobody gets to see them or enjoy them, and it feels like an incredible waste. I decided to create something which would showcase these antiques and create a feeling of appreciation for the valuable heirloom treasures that they are.

I began with a simple wooden box purchased in a craft store. I painted it "Victorian Green," and applied crackle medium for an antique flair. I created "corners" with rubber stamps and polymer clay, and roses to pull the antique theme together. Acrylic paint was used to color the roses and corners. I put turquoise liquid chalk on the metal hinge and in the "corners" for an old tarnished look. The "rope" design around the cameo is made in the same manner. Finally, I added tiny ruby red gem stones to add a little sparkle.
Everything is glued down with Golden Gel Medium, which is permanent enough to hold things in place, but will not cause damage to the antiques in the case that they may need to be removed someday.

On the very front of the box lid, I secured a brooch that has my grandmother's initials, IGB. The 'B' is from her maiden name, which means the brooch must be at least 70 years old.
Next I decided that I would present this box to my mother. The heirlooms belonged to her mother and I want her to have them. I'm sure they just "sat" in her jewelry box too! I thought this would be the most wonderful sentimental gift, and to make it even more special I personalized the box with old-fashioned "buttons" to spell out my mother's name. The buttons are made from polymer clay,then stamped with 'old typewriter' rubber stamps. The color of the buttons was achieved by brushing on metallic Pearl Ex pigment powder before baking. After baking, I used a needle to paint the letters with white paint. Looks really nostalgic, doesn't it?
I found a dreamy 'music-theme' artists' paper in Somerset Studio Magazine, Sept/Oct 2005. The paper is meant to be used in art projects. I love the colors because they blend beautifully with the cameo, and the music theme is perfect because the cameo has a harp in it. Splendid!

The trim on the dividers inside the box are actually beads from an old necklace. I think they are made of brass. I know I would never wear the necklace, but I liked the beads because they could be used as "treasure." I painted the beads with a dab of antique medium and more liquid chalk. Isn't it amazing what you can do with just a little bit of imagination?

Someone asked me about liquid chalk in the comments box. Do they have this in America? It's marketed by a company called Palda, which is very well-known in Israel. There is another company on the label called Tex & Co. One's written in English, the other in Hebrew. What the difference is- I'm not sure! Press here to visit Palda's website. It's in Hebrew, but it may be fun to poke around!

In Hebrew, this product is called "korozya." Sounds like 'corrosion,' which is exactly the look it creates!

Korozya has a thicker consistency than paint. It really feels like chalk that's been mashed and blended with water. However, once it dries, it won't get dusty and blow away. It's hard like stone!
Do you like my Cameo Heirloom Box? I think it's an absolute treasure. My mother's birthday is coming up in just a couple of weeks, and the box is currently on its way. I absolutely can't wait to hear her reaction!
And Mom- when you read this, and I know you will- I love you.

23 comments:

  1. You have certainly done a lot of work here and i love the clolour scheme. In fact it has made me think about all the bits of jewelry I ahev as well. I am sure your mum will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rivkah, you have created a beautiful gift for your mum. I am sure she will be thrilled with it. I hope you do insure it when you send it by post. Why don't you give it to her when she comes to visit you? Anyway I am sure she will love it. You did a great job. You are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rivkah!

    Thanks so much for sharing the beautiful gift you have made for your mom!!! I know she will just love it and all the warm memories of her mom and of you will give her great pleasure every time she sees it. Great job!!! Wonderful idea!!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an absolutely wonderful idea! I'm sure your mother will love it. What is liquid chalk?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:56 AM

    Rivkah You made your mother a beautiful gift which I am sure she will always treasure, it is really beautifully done and I am quite sure she knows she has a wonderfully talented daughter. Why don't you let your mother come to visit you and then present her with her gift?

    ReplyDelete
  6. heather chandler2:51 AM

    Rivah, what a wonderful idea, and so beautifully crafted. I'm sure your mum will love it. The same idea could be used for a man, maybe using all those odd cuff links dads seem to have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rivka, it is so gorgeous! You should send it to Somerset Magazine---what an inspiring project!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:56 AM

    Hi, Rivkah! I love the box, and I KNOW your mother will be thrilled. You do beautiful work, and I loved reading about how you decorated the box. Thanks for sharing.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ruth P.9:08 AM

    Hi Rivkah -
    Thanks for telling us about the wonderful box you made for your mom. What a unique and lovely gift, that celebrates your grandmother!
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Barbara11:00 AM

    Rivkah,
    The box is absolutely amazing - you are very creative in your use of the heirlooms and I'm sure it will be treasured by your mother and many more generations to come. I loved reading your explanation on the blog and I would certainly laminate a copy and send it along with the box.
    כל הכבוד

    ברברה עמיהוד

    Barbara in Montreal

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rivkah,

    What an absolutely gorgeous box and made with so much love and thought. Your mother is lucky to have you as her daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Leslie in New Jersey10:42 PM

    Oh my gosh!!! The box is gorgeous and the pictures and blog are fantastic!
    You are so creative! I have in a safe all of my mother's jewelry (I don't
    really wear much) and have been wondering what to do with it - I have a box
    full of beautiful cameos.

    I am going to store your project idea in the back of my head with all the
    other wonderful ideas members of this list have inspired me with (including
    using the frabric from the dresses my mom had custom made for our family's
    bar/bat mitzvah celebrations to make a tallit for myself - thanks Marilyn).

    (You can probably tell from this post that I am a saver!! I was just
    talking with a friend last night about "felting" wool - I have my mom's old
    worn out cashmere sweaters just waiting in a corner to be felted! I
    obviously can't throw or give anything away!

    Again, your box is beautiful. Thanks for posting and thanks for the in
    depth explanation of the process. When (and I mean when) I finally get to
    my projects, I know the info will come in very handy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. MaryAnn10:43 PM

    Rivkah...the box is stunning! I KNOW your mother will
    be positively thrilled with this wonderful treasure.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Elizabeth Levy10:44 PM

    Rivkah,
    The box is beautiful. You were so right about these beautiful treasures being wasted as they hide in your jewelry box.
    Your wonderful idea sprang to memory two ideas that my friend and I have used:
    1- My neighbor had in her box of scrap fabric the most outrageous house-coat (my mother used to wear these and called them moo-moos) that her maternal Grandmother used to wear every Erev-Shabbat. She came to me one day to help her use the fabric in a small memory quilt for her mother. Well, the fabric was old and definitely not cotton. When we cut a piece it would not keep its shape. We figured a quilted wall hanging would be to hard for her (she is not a quilter). Then we decided to decoupage the fabric onto a wooden box to make a memory box instead. It worked out great!
    2- I also have loads of pins from my grandmothers, mother, my father's air force days and my own from my skiing and girl scouts. I have one quilted wall hanging that covers up the timer for the boiler. It is a simple log-cabin-star wall hanging. In the middle of every yellow star I pinned some of my favorite pins. One of my neighbors saw this and now wants her own wall hanging to pin all her old pins to.
    Just thought I would share.
    Thanks for sharing Rivkah.
    Shalom,
    Elizabeth Levy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Judith Powell10:45 PM

    Rivkah, I love your box. Your mother is going to be so
    excited. What a wonderful gift.
    Judith Powell

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nancy LeVant10:46 PM

    The box is a treasure in oh so many ways. What a perfect gift for your
    mother. My mother just loved gifts from the heart like this. I know your
    mother will too. Happy birthday, Mother.
    Yours, Nancy LeVant in Rochester, NY

    ReplyDelete
  17. Needle Pulling Thread11:02 PM

    Rivkah your memory box isjust beautiful!I am sure your mother will be touched and will use the box to store her treasures!
    I can feel the love that went into the box, it touched me!
    Great job!

    Nita
    http://www.PictureTrail.com/needlepullingthread
    http://needlepullingthread.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful, as always! I love the sentiment and am sure your mother will as well. What a good daughter you must be!

    ReplyDelete
  19. ali_oops (Lois)4:47 AM

    Rivkah...what a beautiful gift to your Mother!! I know you put alot
    of time and effort ( and loads of Love) in that box...indeed it is a
    treasure. She is going to cry..you wait and see =). Please be sure
    and let us know once she receives it. Thank you so much for
    sharing...and by the way I love your 360. Fun way to keep in touch
    huh? Thank you again...Lois a/k/a Ali

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ethel Marcus10:28 PM

    What a stunning box!! Absolutely magnificent. It gave me ideas fro what to do with some of my mother's older pieces to pass on to my niece.
    Thanks for the idea.
    Ethel

    ReplyDelete
  21. Marlyn Butchins1:12 AM

    Teasures within treasure! Your mom will love it. Something given from the heart is received in the heart and never forgotten. Rivkah - you are the treasure! Happy Birthday Ima and many more.
    Much Love
    Marlyn, Hod Hasharon, Israel

    ReplyDelete
  22. Marge Bresel3:09 PM

    What a beautiful keepsake for your mom. I love the creative way you used the jewelry to make a new treasure. Thank you for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dear Rivkah,
    I cannot think of a more beautiful and loving gift for your mom, Kol HaKavod. Your creativity knocks my socks off! It is so special....
    Happy Birthday, Carol!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment and happy dolling!