Thursday, July 31, 2008

Call for Quilters

About two years ago, I stumbled across a very vintage quilt block in the form of a peacock.  It was the most intriguing thing I had ever seen- and I knew I 'needed' a peacock quilt.  
Lots of people have these quirky "things" they collect obsessively- like cat lovers with 500 cat-related objects in every room, or people with 10 shelves full of tea pots (but who don't even drink tea) ... well I have a soft spot for peacocks and pomegranates.  So, I got myself into a bit of trouble....There is no photo of any actual quilt- just these crude black and white pictures of the layout of the quilt, and the block itself.  No instructions, nothing.  Just me and my wishful thinking.

Now tell me this isn't the most interesting quilt pattern ever?

I began collecting peacock fabric like crazy.  Mind you, this was when I was still living in Israel- I had to buy the fabric online and have it sent there.  I moved back to Seattle in June of '07, and brought it with.  (can you see where this is going?)

Once settled in Seattle, I was determined to figure out how to make this block.  I tried and tried and for the life of me, could not figure it out.  Finally I went to a quilt class and got some help. After a few sessions and about $50 later, I got my precious peacock block. 


The block is definitely on the challenging side.  The pieces go together like a little puzzle and 2 of them have inside / outside curves.  I made a few blocks and tweaked the template until it came out perfect.
I've managed to make a few blocks.  The "beak" needs to be embroidered with like-colored thread.  This block is an open palette for embellishing with beads and sequins!



Now the good part- I I have finally gotten a grip on reality- it seems highly likely that I will never finish this quilt!  I love to sew- I do it for my dolls- but I am a natural doll person.  making all these blocks is just too much for me.  I am 
despairing that I will never finish the project, especially since I also have a full time job.

Would any of my quilting friends out there like to lend me a hand?  I figure, if a bunch of you would make one block each, I could really do this thing...omg it would be awesome!   I would want to use up my fabric, which I will send you, along with the pattern and the instructions.  I would love to have help-  and I would cherish this quilt forever.  

Please leave me a comment if you are interested and I'll write you back!   Oh this would be so wonderful!

15 comments:

  1. Hi, I'll do one or more of your peacock blocks. Looks like a lot of fun! You can email me at stoleequilts@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rivka,

    I'm sorry I didn't get to know you before you left Israel. Would have been fun - LOL.
    I would love to do a block or more for you if you like. You can email me at: ruthie8@bezeqint.net
    Warm hugs, Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rivkah, my DD and I will make a few for you. Just let us know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rivkah, I would love to make one of these for you. I know just how you feel - I am much happier making dolls, but I know I could handle ONE block. And if it helps you do more dolls, it will be well worth my time. E-mail me at dolls4liz@yahoo.com

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rivka,
    I too am a lover of peacocks and have been saving peacock fabric and embellishments for over a year to make that something special. I would love to do a block for you - and I love your dolls!!

    Nicki Lee

    Bnickilee@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have just been learning how to make dolls, but I do quilt so I would love to make one or if you need more for you. Put a message up telling me/us what to do. I don't like to leave my email addy out for public view. Looking forward to helping this quilt get done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i like naruto, you can make it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Naruto,
    There is a wonderful japanese dollmaker who makes Naruto type dolls. Her name is Runo. If you google her name you will find her. She has patterns and even some free online instructions. Perhaps you might want to write to her if you would like an authentic Japanese doll... I can make that but I would just download her pattern to do it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to do a few blocks for you. dyline24@hotmail.com

    Dianah

    ReplyDelete
  10. Several months later, and I'm just now seeing this post... Shame on me.

    Do you have enough blocks or do you need more? I'd be willing to do some for you. Let me know! My email is cindibee@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello,
    I will help you out and do a couple blocks, but I wondered if I could copy the pattern also?....that will be one awesome beautiful quilt! I will still help out if the answer is NO....
    hugz
    Pam at autumnstylequeen@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Rivka, do you still need help with this? I would be glad to do a block or two for you. Just email me at stitchduchess2@yahoo.com and let me know. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous8:03 PM

    Wow! I'm amazed that you designed your own block. It looks exactly like the original pattern which by the way is for sale on e-bay.

    ReplyDelete
  14. REALLY? That is amazing! I saw the original black and white picture of the quilt pattern back in 2007. Now it's 2013 and it's being sold on Ebay? Wow! I would love to see it. I'm going to look it up. Thanks for telling me, curious minds HAVE TO know!

    :-)

    PS I am about halfway done with the blocks in the quilt. I estimate it will take about 5 more years to finish it. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i would help you by making 1 block!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment and happy dolling!