Sunday, September 21, 2008

French Budoir Costume Pattern

I found a perfect pattern. It's the pink and yellow one below.
After much debating and curling my nose up, I have finally figured out just what to do with my penny doll (described in post from August 16). I think she should be a whimsical French Budoir Doll.

This pattern is an antique French Budoir doll's dress, probably from the 1930's. I think it will be just right.

The dress is meant to fit a 30" doll, and the waistline looks extremely small. I will need to tweak the pattern and make it my own, so it can fit, but it should work. It gave me the inspiration I needed- which [for me, at least] is more than half the battle. Somehow this doll did not tell me what she wanted to wear, and I could not figure it out.

Now I have to start looking for fabric. I think I want some sort of antique silk or something. It's hard to tell what's used on that drawing, and it doesn't say in the instructions. Maybe I need some lace? I'm not sure. I don't think I want hot pink and yellow- I guess when I see it I'll know. I haven't found what I am looking for yet and believe it or not I'm not sure where to look. (Local fabric stores have not done much good). Does anybody have any suggestions?

You can find the pattern here:

4 comments:

  1. Just found your blog - your work is gorgeous! I love the pattern you choose & I'll be checking back to see how your Penny Doll turns out. :) I make a very different kind of Penny Doll, & I had to see what yours was all about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! That looks like the perfect dress. I can see the yellow parts done in a cream colored lace fabric. Let us know when you get the fabric selected.

    ReplyDelete
  3. IDPorter9:43 AM

    Try stores that sells vintage clothes, I usually buy a dress and use the fabric, lace etc... I have find beautiful and cheap things this way.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:43 PM

    Oooh! Very exciting! I've had that boudoir doll clothing pattern for quite a while, but unfortunately I haven't got around to making any of the outfits (or a boudoir doll, for that matter!). I can't wait to see how yours turns out!

    Juliana

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment and happy dolling!