Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Harlequins riding Horses

I work in the Seattle Design Center. Rather than sitting all day, I like to walk around and get a little exercise, meet people and get a little inspiration.
One of the showrooms here sells fine furniture, and these wonderful doll statues by a local artist named Don Charles. Click on the pictures to enlarge them.

Most of his pieces have a harlequin-looking doll riding a horse. He uses a myriad of different found objects, new, old, natural and man-made. They are so intriguing!

The dolls are hand carved from wood. The faces are all quasi-expressionless, yet full of character.

Details of the face


His hat and base are made of tortise shells

I was inspired to bring one of my dolls into the showroom I work in. She does get a fair share of attention. I'm inspired to make 10 more - with a theme like Don Charles! I'll have to think on it..... one day when I don't have to work 9-5!
For now, I'll just keep having fun slowly!

2 comments:

  1. That is interesting that you work at the Design Center. I used to work at the Washington, DC Design Center. Are you also a designer? Just curious. Also, I like your blog very informative

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment and happy dolling!