Wednesday, December 22, 2010

New Doll Coming Along (?)

I started a doll today. Yeah!
I found this old photo...and it spun me around and lit off that light bulb for me. The perfect stepping stone.
It was kind of like seeing the inside of a very old house that needs a lot of work and a LOT of money. If you have the eye, you can fall in love with it and see the potential. This photo made my imagination go wild. It screams "Victorian." Perfect for a steampunk-themed doll.

Here's what I've got going on so far:


This is not good at all, so far. It needs a lot of work. The neck is too wide, the shoulders are all wrong, and I'm having trouble figuring out what to do with the bottom. I don't want a stump doll. Also don't want to make the legs in such a way that they wrap around the back of the torso to form the "seat." I'm a little stubborn and instead of making a doll, it looks like I am going to end up with a science experiment.

I'm building the doll on an old sculpting block. I like the shape of it. Although you're supposed to sculpt a head on it with clay, you'll laugh at what I'm going to do.

Here's the FRONT


This is the SIDE


As you can see, I've tied the torso onto the sculpting block. The sides are flat. I drew blue lines on the sides where I'm going to try to develop a "bikini line."

I'm going to take this pattern off and then use clay to build a "bottom" on the back of the sculpting block. (A tushie, I mean!) Then I'll figure out how to incorporate that into the torso pattern. I guess I'm thinking along the lines of a pair of undies filled in (?) I don't know what direction I'm going in. I think I'm just playing mercilessly. Hopefully not wasting time!

If this works out, I'll work on the torso and make it look more like that photo. As I said a second ago, this could be a complete waste of time and it might not work at all, but I want to make something totally "different." Stay tuned. I hope it will be worth it!

2 comments:

  1. You have to start somewhere. :0) The inspiration is there! Can't wait to see how it comes along. Have a wonderful holiday break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my this is too amazing... :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment and happy dolling!